University description (as per official university website)
The University of Southampton is already one of the top 10 research universities in the UK and has achieved consistently high scores for its teaching and learning activities.
We offer first-rate opportunities and facilities for study and research, and a stimulating working environment. Our strong enterprise agenda fosters close links with business and industry.
We currently have nearly 20,000 students and 5,000 staff based across several campuses in Southampton and Winchester. Our discipline base is broad, encompassing all the major academic subjects, but we also have a unique commitment to innovation, which is evidenced both in our outstanding research and scholarship at the leading edge, and also in our ability to pioneer new approaches and techniques relevant to the world today.
We are committed to:
- The advancement of knowledge through critical and independent scholarship and research of international significance.
- The communication of knowledge in an active learning environment involving staff at the forefront of their disciplines.
- The application of knowledge for the benefit of society, both directly and by collaboration with other organisations.
- Freedom to push the frontiers of knowledge forward, within an ethical framework, for the global good of humankind.
- Success and ambition for excellence within a professional setting.
- Creativity and critical independence.
- lnclusiveness which enables all staff, students and potential students to achieve their full potential.
- Openness within a caring and supportive working environment.
- Innovation and enterprise balanced by prudence.
Whether you hope to become a student or a member of staff at the University, or want to know about the research, education and enterprise opportunities we can offer to businesses and other organisations, you are sure to find plenty here to interest you.