University description (as per official university website)
The University of Salford has a rich history stretching back to 1896, but if you thought Salford was just about flat caps, factory smog and Coronation Street – think again.
- The future looks bright. Not only is the BBC moving up to Salford Quays, we’re investing over £150 million into new facilities as part of a massive regeneration scheme for the city
- Our research is focused on solving real world problems and we were ranked in the top third of UK universities for research in the last Government Research Assessment Exercise (RAE)
- Salford is ranked in the top 10 in the UK for teaching and over 93% of our postgraduate students are in employment or go on to further study within six months of graduating
- Just one and a half miles away from Manchester, the University of Salford is right on the doorstep of big-city diversity and fun
- Our world-famous alumni include painter LS Lowry, comedian Peter Kay, actors Sir Ben Kingsley and Christopher Eccleston, and former international rugby union player Ieuan Evans among many others.