University description (as per official university website)
A warm welcome to the University of Hertfordshire.
Our vision for 2012 is to be recognised as a new model of a university through far-reaching engagement with business, community and international partners, shaping the future success of our graduates operating in the global environment, and advancing the prosperity of our region.
Our mission is to:
- help our students achieve their maximum potential, with graduates distinguished for being innovative, creative, highly employable and equipped for their future careers
- play a key role in our region's economic prosperity and cultural development, by working closely with businesses, the public sector and the wider community
- continue investing in our people, courses, partnerships and facilities, and to be the leading university in enhancing the student experience
- undertake and exploit research, creating new knowledge that is disseminated, transferred and applied; achieving international standing in key research areas
- prepare our students to operate in the global economy, and to engender international and multicultural understanding both within the University and beyond
- provide an outstanding service and to ensure a rewarding experience for all who engage with our University.
The University has defined a set of core values which inform and sustain all of our activities:
- putting students first
- excellence and its celebration
- innovation, creativity and professionalism
- respect for the individual
- enjoyment in learning and work
We are an ambitious and entrepreneurial university. We offer excellence in learning, teaching and research and put students at the heart of our activities. We are a model of a 21st century university, internationally business-facing and business-like in approach - making us distinctive in an ever-changing higher education environment.
We are one of the regionís largest employers with over 2,500 staff and a turnover of more than £160 million. With a student community of over 24,000, including more than 2,000 international students from over 85 different countries, the University has a global network of over 100,000 alumni.