University description (as per official university website)
Texas Wesleyan University was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1890. A committee under the direction of Bishop Joseph S. Key explored locations for a campus and settled on a site east of Fort Worth donated by area pioneers, A.S. Hall, W.D. Hall, and George Tandy. Originally called Polytechnic College, which has the literal meaning “many arts and sciences,” the school held its first classes in September 1891, with a handful of faculty members and 111 students. In 1902, H.A. Boaz assumed the presidency and managed a period of moderate growth. He conceived the idea of a new university for Southern Methodism and planned to develop Polytechnic College into that university.
When Dallas was selected by the church leaders as the site for Southern Methodist University, the Polytechnic campus was designated the Woman’s College for Southern Methodism, eventually becoming Texas Woman’s College in 1914. Young women from around Texas and the Southwest attended Texas Woman’s College as it developed into a major force in North Texas. However, faced with dwindling resources during the Depression, trustees voted to close the school in 1931. A merger with the financially secure Texas Wesleyan Academy in Austin kept the doors open and created the new institution of Texas Wesleyan College in 1934. Men were readmitted that same year.
Since 1934, Texas Wesleyan has remained a co-educational liberal arts institution with an increasingly comprehensive academic and student life program. In addition to strong undergraduate programs, the University added graduate programs in education in the 1970s and in nurse anesthesia in the 1980s. After contemplating a relocation of the campus to a west Fort Worth site, Texas Wesleyan renewed its commitment to its historic Polytechnic Heights location by building the Eunice and James L. West Library. Recognizing thegrowth in programs, trustees changed the name of the institution to TexasWesleyan University, effective in January 1989.
The student enrollment at Texas Wesleyan University was 3,087 in 2007 (2,471 full-time equivalent).
About 29% of the freshmen class in 2007 was male and women were 71% of the class.
Undergrads are 53% of enrolled students, graduate students are 23%, and those seeking first-professional graduate degrees represent 24%.
Students living in the US make up 100% of incoming freshmen.