University description (as per official university website)
Blinn College, also referred to as Blinn, is a coeducational, community college located in Brenham, Texas, United States. It was established in 1883 as Mission Institute by the Southern German Conference of the Methodist denomination. It was initially a men's college but became coeducational in 1888. In 1899, the college was re-christened as Blinn Memorial College in honor of Reverend Christian Blinn of New York, who financed a large portion of the money required to establish the school. In 1934, the college was renamed for the last time and the word "Memorial" was dropped from the name.
The academic divisions in the College include the following:
Agriculture and Applied Technology
Business, Information Technology, and Public Service
Fine Arts, Music, Drama
Health and Kinesiology
Math and Engineering
Technical and Workforce Education
Blinn College provides a personal commitment to individual and community enhancement through educational excellence.
Blinn College will raise the educational aspirations and achievements of all people by being the doorway for enriching lives and broadening horizons.
Blinn College, the Junior College District of Washington County, is located in Brenham, Texas, and serves a 13 county service area with campuses in Bryan, Sealy and Schulenburg. The school was founded in 1883 by the Southern German Conference of the Methodist denomination under the name of Mission Institution. In 1889 the name was changed to Blinn Memorial College in honor of the Reverend Christian Blinn of New York who had donated a considerable sum of money to make the school possible. The institution was originally founded for the purpose of training young men for the ministry, but in the course of time, to meet the demands of the public, academic courses were added. After operating for five years as an institution for men only, Blinn College was made coeducational in 1888. Until 1927 the school was of academy rank. In 1927 the Board of Trustees, under leadership of President Philip Deschner, organized a junior college. In 1930 the school was merged with Southwestern University (Georgetown, Texas). In 1934, a new charter was procured by the citizens of Brenham, and a private nonsectarian junior college, under the name of Blinn College, was organized with nine regents as the board of control. In February, 1937, all connection with Southwestern University and the Methodist denominations were severed. An election held in Washington County on June 8, 1937, for the purposes of creating a public junior college district and for levying a small tax, was successful. Blinn thus became the first county-owned junior college district in Texas. The college continues to operate as one of the largest of the state’s 50 public junior/community college districts.
The Blinn College Office of Financial Aid is committed to providing financial resources to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue their educational goals. Our employees will be student focused and our office environment will be distinguished by providing efficient and effective service. In all areas of our fund distribution, we shall be fair, honest and efficient. To the extent that funding is available, Blinn College is committed to ensuring that all eligible students who are making satisfactory academic progress be afforded the opportunity for a post-secondary education.