University description (as per official university website)
Baylor College of Medicine, also known as BCM, is located in Houston, Texas, USA. It was established in 1900 and covers a land area of 1000 acres. The College offers courses in various subjects of medicine which includes:
BCM also offers several dual degree programs like M.D/ J.D Program, M.D/M.B.A Program and a M.D/Ph.D Program. The college has over 90 research and patient-care centers. There are several other programs available, namely the SMART Program, offered during summer. BCM has been ranked 2nd in the nation in federal funding for research and development in the biological sciences at universities and colleges by the National Science Foundation (2009).
Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, the only private medical school in the Greater Southwest, is recognized as a premier academic health science center and is known for excellence in education, research and patient care. Read more about BCM history.
For 2010, U.S.News & World Report ranked BCM 17th overall among the nation's top medical schools for research and for primary care. BCM is listed 13th among all U.S. medical schools for National Institutes of Health funding, and No. 2 in the nation in federal funding for research and development in the biological sciences at universities and colleges by the National Science Foundation.
Located in the Texas Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine has affiliations with eight teaching hospitals, each known for medical excellence.
The college has total research support of $302 million, with $241 million from federal sources, and more than 90 research and patient-care centers and units. Currently, BCM trains more than 3,000 medical, graduate, nurse anesthesia, and physician assistant students, as well as residents and post-doctoral fellows.
In 1900, a small group of dedicated physicians and community leaders started a medical school in Dallas to improve the practice of medicine in North Texas. The fledgling school was called the University of Dallas Medical Department, although no such university existed. The school opened its doors Oct. 30, 1900.
The young medical school needed a true affiliation with an established university to survive, and, in 1903, an alliance was formed with Baylor University in Waco. At that time, the name changed to Baylor University College of Medicine. The College struggled in those early years to improve its curriculum, facilities, faculty, and students, and, by 1918, it was the only private medical school in Texas.
Over the next several decades, the College continued to grow, but faced many financial challenges.
In 1943, the M.D. Anderson Foundation invited Baylor University College of Medicine to join the newly formed Texas Medical Center. The College opened in Houston July 12, 1943, in a converted Sears, Roebuck & Co. building, with 131 students. Four years later, the College moved into its present site in The Roy and Lillie Cullen Building, the first building completed in the new Texas Medical Center.
In 1948, Michael E. DeBakey, M.D., joined the faculty as chair of the Department of Surgery, and the following year, The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was established. During the next several years, the College began its affiliation with a number of hospitals, which created superior training facilities for students and residents.
The College's rise in prominence began in the 1950s when Dr. DeBakey's innovative surgical techniques garnered international attention. The 1960s brought the first major expansion of College facilities, along with a major turning point for the institution.
In 1969, by mutual agreement, the College separated from Baylor University to become an independent institution. This encouraged broader, nonsectarian support and provided access to federal research funding. The institution's name changed to Baylor College of Medicine.
That same year, the College entered into an agreement with the state legislature to double its class size in order to increase the number of physicians in Texas. The agreement remains in place today.